FAILED RELIGIONS

 It's 2022! Somehow, I made it through the past year. It was tough. My mom was the person who connected me to the rest of my family. To be honest, I can't relate with the rest of them. Losing her sucked. Dropping everything to be with her before she died nearly made me homeless. 

I received a grant to finish a manuscript that went well until the last phase. I hired an editor from their reputation and not after checking their portfolio. I ended up losing a lot of money. It was my fault. I had built a repour with another editor earlier. I should have had them complete the work they helped me start. We live; we learn. 

On the good side of things, my poetry was used as the lyrics for a work by composer Paul Frehner. The poems Eclipse and The One Day Later are featured in his piece, "Sometimes the Devil Plays Fate." It was played at the Lincoln Center (NYC) by the New Julliard Ensemble and at Temetry Theatre (Koerner Hall) (Toronto) by The Glenn Gould School New Music Ensemble.

The Spring 2022 edition of ARC Poetry (print edition) features a review of my last book of poetry, Love and Other Failed Religions. It might be the most enthusiastic review of my poetry ever written. On their website, you can find a review of the anthology that I compiled and edited, Changing the Face of Canadian Literature. 

I also learned that one of the poems from "Failed Religions," was published online by Poetry in Voice. Talking to a person I know who works there, the poem has had over 500 views by kids. During the semifinals of their national poetry recitation contest this year, a contestant read my poem.

Finally, "Failed Religions," was a finalist for the ReLit Award for Poetry. The ReLits are a national literary prize celebrating independent publishers. It's the second time I've been shortlisted for a poetry prize; my first national shortlist. The prize was won by Charlie Petch, someone I'm proud to say I've known for a long time and had the pleasure of witnessing their growth as a writer and a human.

Speaking of Charlie, they featured my first book on an amazing list of poetry books from authors with ties to slam poetry and the spoken word scene.

This is a bit long, but I haven't posted in a year, and most of it is good news.

Take care, whoever reads this

Peace and Respect

Popular Posts